Eva and I did some impromptu sunflower seed harvesting today. I wasn’t expecting to do it so soon, but the seeds came out relatively easily, and it gave Eva something to do since we were stuck on the porch. (I can’t go too far without Kirsi.)
We ended up harvesting 1.5 heads. The other heads either weren’t mature or were devoured by the local wildlife before I realized they had fallen. One of the heads seemed to be affected by mildew in the center, hence the 0.5. I still have two heads that are attached to living plants, so I may get another chance at harvesting more seeds.
The process was pretty simple: either rub or pluck out the seeds and collect them in a bowl. Eva excelled at this task. She liked running her hands through the seeds in the bowl. I’ll admit, it’s a pretty cool feeling.
I’m now tasked with dividing up the seeds and roasting most of them. (I’ve received some requests for seeds since the plants were so impressive. The originals came from a $0.99 pack of seeds I bought at Walmart.) This will be my first time roasting sunflower seeds, so I have no idea if I will succeed. Wish me luck!