Moby Knit

It's a handmade adventure!

Leave a comment

Bluebird Eggs!

I put up a bluebird box in my yard a while back after seeing a pair of bluebirds frequenting the area.  I’m pleased to report that they’ve stayed with me and have built a nest!

This afternoon I observed the following:


Four Bluebird Eggs

Bluebird eggs!  I’ve been checking the box every so often (during good weather) so that I will know when to clean it out for the next brood.  It is possible that the female isn’t finished laying, so it may be a while before any chicks appear.

I’m tempted to pick up another box this week to hang for the chickadees.  I just love being a bird landlord!


Leave a comment

Gull Lace Jacket – Third Progress Report

Due to recent events, I have been in a non-knitting, non-gardening mood.  Today I finally picked up some knitting.  I think it’s time that I return to my normal routine.

The Gull Lace Jacket is still not finished, but it’s almost there.  I’m working on the ninth lace repeat out of ten.  I’m looking forward to seeing how this sweater looks after it’s been blocked.  I bet the lace will be beautiful!


I wish I had something more exciting to share, but this will have to suffice.  I’m sure I’ll be back to my obsessive knitting/gardening self very soon.

Leave a comment

Gull Lace Jacket – Second Progress Report

I’ve finished a couple inches of the lace on Eva’s Gull Lace Jacket:


It’s looking really cute!  I like that this pattern has minimal finishing.  All that’s left once the body is knit is some single crochet edging around the neck and fronts.  I’m going to single crochet around the armholes, too, since I’m a little bothered by the underarm areas.

Eva was extra helpful today and knit a few rows for me.  😀


I think we have a knitter in the making!

Leave a comment

Gull Lace Jacket – First Progress Report

My posting has been a little spotty recently due to Eva’s growth spurt and my corresponding lack of sleep.  I have lots of gardening, birding, and knitting updates to share, but it’ll take time for me to get around to it.

Anyway, I’ve started another sweater for Eva.  This time it’s a worsted weight lace jacket with short sleeves.  I have made it to the point where the lace begins.


This looks like it’ll turn out small enough for Eva to wear right away, but I won’t know for sure until I block it.  Eva needs something she can wear now!


Eva’s Elephant – Finished!

I finished Eva’s Elephant this morning.  That thing was the bane of my existence.  Never again!  I’m sure I’m the only idiot who had trouble with the increasing in this pattern, but it was enough trouble that I’m turned off from ever knitting another elephant.


Pieces of an Elephant

I finished all the pieces last night and seamed the legs and head to the body.  This morning I attached the ears and tail.  I did not put a tassel on the tail as called for in the pattern because I do not trust that I can make a tassel that Eva can’t unravel.  The ears are also different from the pattern.  Not by choice, though.  They looked really crappy when I made them following the pattern instructions.  :/



For this project I used some chunky gray acrylic yarn and aran weight pink yarn.  Both came from stash.  The elephant measures 8 inches from head to rump and 5 inches high.  I used a larger needle than called for in the pattern, size 7.

I am much more pleased with how this turned out as opposed to the bunny I made for Easter.  I seem to be better at knit amigurmi than crochet amigurumi.

Now it’s time to make a sweater!