Moby Knit

It's a handmade adventure!


Leave a comment

Zen Cabled Beanie

Over the past week I’ve been working on yet another Christmas project, the Urban Zen Cabled Hat  My hat didn’t come out as crisp looking as the one that accompanies the pattern, but nonetheless, it’ll do.

Zen Cabled Beanie - Head On

 

Zen Cabled Beanie - Side View

 

Kai adds a bit of masculinity to the Zen Cabled Beanie.

I modified the pattern slightly by decreasing the initial cast on number to 90.  Prior experience with Cascade 220 and size 8 needles told me that 100 stitches would result in a slouchy hat.  Since this hat was meant for Mr. Green, slouch was out of the question, and as such, I believe I made the right decision.  A word of warning, though – if you plan to cast on 90 stitches like I did, do NOT P2tog during the set up row.  Just P5, K4 all the way around.  After that, the pattern can be followed exactly as it is written.

Advertisements


Leave a comment

Maija’s Hat – Finished!

I finished Maija’s hat today.  Well, technically I finished it last night, but I hadn’t dealt with the ends or blocking.  It’s very slouchy, but I’m worried about the rim.  I think it’s a little too big.  However, Maija’s got much thicker hair than I do, so it might fit her perfectly.  I started with 80 stitches on a size 8 circular using Cascade 220 in “Magenta.” 

Due to the size of the rim on Maija’s hat, I have now become concerned about the beanie I’ve started for Mr. Green, which is being knit with the same yarn (albeit in a different color) and the same needles.  The pattern I’m using said to cast on 100 stitches, which I downgraded to 90.  I really don’t want to end up with a slouchy beanie.  I think I might skip the blocking step to avoid widening the rim.

Now that my post has come to an end, I should probably post some pictures of my latest accomplishment.

Maija's Hat - Look at that slouch!

A view of Maija's hat from the back.


Leave a comment

Maija’s Hat – First Update

Oh goodness.  I still haven’t returned to my dad’s socks.  Once I completed my Pineapple Plumes Doily, I jumped straight into another quick Christmas project.  Well, I thought it would be quick.  In my current state, concentrating is tough, and the pattern is full of texture.  This hat is for Kai’s sister, Maija, who has the most gorgeous hair.  (I felt compelled to mention that.)

I’m using the pattern called Katherine Hat, which can be found on Ravelry.  I’m following it exactly, but I think I’ll be adding an extra inch to the length of the hat, yarn permitting.  (I still need enough yarn left over for mitten cuffs.)

Anyway, without further ado, here is my progress:

image


Leave a comment

Pineapple Plumes Doily

I finished that “recovery” project I alluded to in my last post.  It’s called the  Pineapple Plumes Doily, and here it is in all its glory:

Aunt Lydia's Size 10 Crochet Cotton, Size 6 Hook

The pattern was very easy, and I didn’t come across any mistakes.  If you wish to crochet this doily, just search for it on Ravelry.

I’m not sure I’m ready to return to my Dad’s socks yet, so I think I may select a hat to work on today.  After all, I have christened today “The Day of Knitting.”  I hope the meds allow me to focus.  😀


Leave a comment

Dad’s Socks – Second Update

The title of this post is misleading since I don’t have any real progress to share, but I wanted to touch base since I’ve been away for a while.  My dad’s socks remain in the same condition they were when I last posted.  I haven’t touched them in weeks due to a  recently diagnosed medical condition.  I have started a new project (yikes!) to help with my recovery, and I will be completing and sharing that project with you before continuing the socks.