For The First Time
August 20, 2013 3 Comments
After letting them languish in the closet for way too long, I finally tried out the new swift and ball winder that I bought long ago. I’m this close to finishing my shrug, so I wanted to prepare the yarn for my next project.
The cake on the left looks a little wonky. It’s the second one I wound, so I’m not sure what I did differently. I’m assuming it has to do with the tension. I’ll knit from that cake first. I don’t want the yarn to stay stressed (if it is) for too long.
I was pleasantly surprised at how quick and simple the process was. It took me a few minutes to set everything up (it’ll only take a minute next time since I now know how everything works) and literally a minute per hank to wind. Much quicker than hand winding! I had to fight the urge to wind everything in my stash, one, because I read hank form is easiest on the yarn, and two, because it would take three years to wind my ginormous stash. I don’t want to tell you how long it took me to find that yarn when I went searching for it in my many bins, boxes, and bags…