They’ve Arrived!

Brood #2 has made its debut!

image

Aren’t they precious?!

Bluebirds, the Sequel

After successfully raising their first brood of the season, I was surprised to see the bluebirds had gotten right back to business so soon. For a couple days I thought I had seen movement in the bluebird box, and I finally became curious enough to check on it.  Looks like Madam is quite the prolific egg layer:

image

I think she’s incubating because she’s constantly in the box at this point. It’s hot as Hades over here, so I don’t know how she can handle sitting in that box all day, but then again, I’m not a bird. I’ll check again in the next few days for hatchlings!

Daisy Stitch Baby Blanket – First Progress Report

A few days ago, I started a baby blanket for our baby-to-be. I bought the yarn a while ago when I saw it on sale at Jimmy Beans Wool, but it took forever for me to settle on a pattern. I finally choose this daisy stitch blanket that I downloaded during a promotion.

The yarn I’m using is Grignasco Merinogold in a creamy white. It’s a dk weight 100% superwash merino.  (The pattern called for fingering weight.)  I like substantial baby blankets, so in addition to using a thicker yarn, I cast on 40 extra stitches. Unfortunately, my efforts weren’t sufficient. The blanket is only measuring 29 inches across, and I estimate I’ll get about 26 inches in length before I run out of yarn. :( I hope it blocks out bigger.

image

I’m not happy that the border is rippling, but I have high hopes that the blocking process will fix that. Other than all of the negative things I just mentioned, I do like the stitch pattern. I think it’ll make for a very warm and cushy blanket!  I’ve only managed to knit 4.5 inches so far, so I need to get my rear in gear and knock this out so I can move on to other things before the little guy is born!

Striped Newborn Stocking Cap

I decided on a whim that my baby-to-be needed a stocking cap for his newborn pictures.  I had some yarn left over from some previous projects, so I combined them to make this super adorable head-topper.

Striped Newborn Stocking Cap

Striped Newborn Stocking Cap

Isn’t it the cutest thing EVER?! I used the Autumn Forest Gnome Hat pattern and modified the cast on number to fit a smaller head.  The yarn is Malabrigo Rios in “Lettuce” and “Plomo.”  I opted for a tassel instead of a leaf or pompom.

The hat is super long, measuring 18.25 inches without the tassel.  I’m envisioning a picture where it is draped down his back while he sleeps on his tummy.  I sure hope it fits once he’s here!

Raveled here.

Ribbed Baby Hat

Last week I finished a hat to go along with the Baby Sophisticate Cardigan that I made for my cousin’s impending little one.

Ribbed Baby Hat

Ribbed Baby Hat

The pattern was super easy, and despite the miles of ribbing, it was a super quick knit.  I used Malabrigo Rios in “Plomo” and size 8 needles.  The i-cord was knit with size 4 needles.

Baby Sophisticate Set

Baby Sophisticate Set

I love this little set, and I wish I could keep it for myself! I hope it keeps the little one warm this winter. :)

Raveled here.

Baby Sophisticate Cardigan – Complete!

Last night I put the finishing touches on this little cardigan that I made for my cousin’s soon to be baby.  She’s waiting until the birth to find out the sex of her baby, so I went with a gender neutral pattern and color.

Baby Sophisticate Cardigan

Baby Sophisticate Cardigan

I knit the 6-12 month size, but added more raglan increases since my gauge was off.  The pattern calls for 15 sts and 20 rows = 4 inches.  I was getting 18.5 sts and 24 rows = 4 inches.

Back of the Baby Sophisticate Cardigan

Back of the Baby Sophisticate Cardigan

The yarn is Malabrigo Rios in “Plomo.”  I used about 1.2 hanks to complete the sweater.  I’m using the rest to make a matching hat.

Swirly Buttons!

Swirly Buttons!

I hope this sweater fits the baby come fall!  He/she is due in August, so I was aiming for something that’ll fit when the baby is past the newborn stage.

Raveled here.

Vegamot Beanie

All these small finished objects are making me look awfully productive!  Here’s a Vegamot Beanie that I made for my cousin:

Edited 002

Edited 003

Edited 004

I used Plymouth Yarn DK Merino Superwash in “1021″ and size 4 and 6 needles.  I went up a couple of needle sizes to account for my tight gauge, of course.  It was a pretty straight forward pattern, and after doing all that cabling on the Lettuce Beanie, this was a nice break.

Raveled here.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 116 other followers